Collection: Chateau L'Evangile

Founded in 18th century by the Léglise family from Libourne, who played a pivotal role in establishing the Pomerol vineyard area, Château L'Évangile was originally listed under the name "Fazilleau", and was later sold to a lawyer named Isambert, who christened the estate name to L'Évangile; French for the "The Gospel". Acquired by Domaines Barons de Rothschild Lafite in 1990, Château L’Évangile is the first of the DBR (Lafite) estates to use organic farming methods, achieving full organic certification in 2021.
Bordered to the north by the vines of Château Pétrus, it is only separated from Cheval Blanc in Saint-Emilion, to the south, by a small road. Covering 22 hectares, the estate's vineyards consists of three major terroir units. The top of the plateau features pelosols, characterised by swelling clays (also found in nearby Pétrus), where the vines of Merlot thrive. Supplementing Merlot, which makes up 79% of the plot, are 20% Cabernet Franc and 1% Cabernet Sauvigon, that can be found further down in gravel-clay and sand, and finally sandy soils at the lower part of the appellation. The result of this combination terroir is a wine of power and elegance; the clay-rich soils give the the wine structure and longevity, the gravel areas add finesse and aromatic complexity, and the sandy parts offer youthful charm and fruitiness.
As early as 1900, L'Evangile had already established itself as one of the best Pomerol wines, third only to Vieux Château Certan and Pétrus.

1 product