Bernard Chambers planted a vineyard on Te Mata Station in 1892, establishing his winery in 1896. From these early beginnings, Te Mata flourished, and by 1909 was the largest winery in New Zealand. Chambers was sure that his free-draining vineyards, sited on the lower, northerly slopes of Te Mata Peak, were ideal for growing grapes in the European tradition. Acquired by the Buck and Morris families in 1974, modern Te Mata Estate has continued Chambers’ original ambition. The winery was restored and expanded as a modern interpretation of the classic wine estate. Today, the estate comprises 250ha, with 150ha under vine, annualy producing 40,000 cases of fine Hawkes Bay Wine.